First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Pediatrics Clerkship at Reading (All)
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- Walk from the housing. Drive to Reading - about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Pretty nice, dorm style with a common area.
- You get about $20 per day in food credit with your ID; it is always enough to eat 3 meals.
How were the 6 weeks divided up? What are the teams or the options for the rotations?
Are you able to request what you want?
- 3 weeks outpatient, 3 weeks inpatient/nursery (not separated). 1 day of NICU.
- Only 1 team.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- There were some in the mornings, but not every day. Modules were done by one attending each week, and we had 3 per week, only one at a time.
- Yes, a 10 minute presentation to peers and attendings and some residents.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)? Weekends?
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- Yes, holidays were off. No weekends, one evening pediatrics ER night.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Yes. No residents, only some family medicine residents so you spend a lot of time with the attending.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Modules were done really well.
- Some attendings spent a lot of time with us.
- Small patient population.
- Very slow inpatient service.
Last revised: 01/12