First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Pediatrics Clerkship at Jefferson Hospital (Nursery)
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- No housing for students besides university housing.
How were the 3 weeks divided up? What are the teams or the options for the rotations?
Are you able to request what you want?
- One nursery team for a week.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- Wednesday modules at Jeff.
- Yes, a 5 minute presentation was required.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)? Weekends?
- 6:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. (can go to 5 p.m.)
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Yes, holidays were off. No weekends.
- Excellent. Formal and informal teaching.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Lots of opportunities to learn and practice the newborn exam.
- Good formal and informal instructions.
- Very clear instructions about what to do.
Last revised: 01/12