First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Pediatrics Clerkship at Einstein (Nursery)
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- Subway (Broad Street line) and Einstein is only one block from the station. Train takes about 20 minutes.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Sometimes there were bagels at morning report.
How were the 2 weeks divided up? What are the teams or the options for the rotations?
Are you able to request what you want?
- It was one week, and one team.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- Yes, we had morning reports and lunch lectures as well as modules. Modules were done daily and one at a time.
- Yes, 5 minute presentation during your Nursery week.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)? Weekends?
- 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. (or can go to 5 p.m.)
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- Yes, holidays were off. No weekends.
- It's a very slow week, and a lot of my time was spent rocking babies back to sleep. It was only observing, wasn't very hands on.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Wasn't given responsibilities.
- A lot of down time.
Last revised: 01/12