First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Pediatrics Clerkship at Christiana Hospital (Nursery)
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- Car. Drive takes 35-45 minutes in the morning but 45-60 in the afternoon. Parking is free.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Sometimes lunch was free. Sometimes there was breakfast as well; it depends on the schedule.
How were the 2 weeks divided up? What are the teams or the options for the rotations?
Are you able to request what you want?
- It was 1 week, and only nursery and one team.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- There was lunch lecture some days given by a resident or attending. There was also time each day for a lecture from the attending on a topic, which you can request something specific.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)? Weekends?
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- Yes, holidays off. No weekends.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Yes! Dr. Soykin was great.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Get to go into the delivery room and work with babies right after delivery.
- Good practice interviewing moms.
- Got to function as a resident.
Last revised: 01/12