First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Otolaryngology at duPont
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- Must drive to this location. Take I-95 South to the rt. 202 exit toward Westchester. Travel approximately 1/4 of a mile on 202 and then take right hand exit towards 141. Turn left at the traffic light. At the third traffic light, make a left. Continue straight through the next traffic light into the A.I duPont entrance.
- It takes approximately 45 minutes, and parking is free.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- No vouchers, but a discount is given to students and employees.
How were the 3 weeks divided up? What are the teams or the options for the rotations?
Are you able to request what you want?
- During these three weeks you will spend most of your time working with the two Jefferson residents, a fellow, and seven attendings. Each morning at 7 a.m. you meet in the office and then round with the entire team (attendings, residents, fellow). There is no pre-rounding. The day will then be spent in the outpatient office or in the OR.
- Yes. Each day you have the opportunity of spending the day in the OR or in the outpatient office. Often, days were spent 1/2 day in the OR and 1/2 day in the outpatient office. The outpatient office is located down the hallway from the OR, so this is very convenient.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- There were lectures during this rotation. The lectures were well organized and very informative. Lectures were specifically targeted for medical students.
- Yes, a 10-15 min presentation on a topic that interested you while on rotation. The attendings do attend your presentation.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)? Weekends?
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Definitely. You are incorporated as part of the team while on this rotation.
When was the last day of your clerkship - did you have a travel day?
- The teaching by attendings was great. They spent dedicated time in both the office and OR to teach the students. With seven attendings, two residents, and a fellow, there are plenty of opportunities for teaching.
- Go out to lunch with your attending? Students often eat lunch with attendings and residents in cafeteria each day.
Last revised: 02/11