First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
OB/GYN Clerkship at Reading
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Most - free meals!
- $20/day for meals
How were the 6 weeks divided up?
- Outpatient - 4 days. Inpatient - 20 days.
What were your hours (roughly)?
What was the call schedule?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- 6:00/7:00 a.m.-5:30/6:00 p.m.
- Three days of night float (7 p.m.-8 a.m.)
How was the teaching by attendings?
- "They were all amazing!"
- "The upper year residents had little time for teaching."
- "I felt restricted at Reading as a student."
- "Never felt like 'part of the team'"
- "Very friendly and approachable physicians."
- "Allowed me to do stuff."
- "Understood that I may have cultural differences and tolerate my shortcomings."
- "Helped me improve my clinical skills, knowledge and clinical experience."
HOW TO BE A ROCK STAR
- "Blueprints, uWise, and Beckman. I did not feel totally prepared. The test questions were harder and longer than any practice questions."
- "I used case files, uwise, and blueprints. I was prepared, though the exam was hard!"
WISH I KNEW
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Seeing a private practice.
- Labor and Delivery was excellent.
- Delivering a baby!
- There was one exceptional intern, Jeff Wang, that stood out as a great teacher, mentor, and role model. He helped me (and a lot of other students) through the rotation. No negative experiences.
- Meal tickets, housing, tele-conferencing. I like my location, friendly physicians, a lot of trees in hospital area, library, printing. Love the location too much that I could not think of anything I like least about my location.
- Far from home.
- Nursing not allowing me to do cervical exam.
- Did not always feel like part of the team.
Last revised: 01/12