First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
OB/GYN Clerkship at Lankenau
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- Drive - free parking.
- Public transportation - difficult because of the early hours.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Free parking, adequate scrubs and lockers provided.
- Lockers were provided, got $50 total of meal tickets, nice variety of exposure to different aspects of the field.
How were the 6 weeks divided up?
- 1 week each in L&D, clinic, GYN, GYN onc and Night float
- No clinic on Thursday mornings or Fridays (lectures on Friday morning for all teams).
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)? Weekends?
- 5 a.m.-6 p.m. every week except for 1 week of night float (5:30 p.m.-7:30 a.m.), 1 week of clinic and 1 24-hour shift on a Saturday 7 a.m. - Sunday 7 a.m.
What was the call schedule?
- Off on Thanksgiving day and the day after.
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- No regular call. One week of night float. One Saturday AM - Sunday AM 24-hour shift.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- The residents were overall very nice and willing to teach.
- Great residents.
- Kate was great, she took a lot of time to teach me proper suture techniques.
HOW TO BE A ROCK STAR
- Study on weekends.
- Blueprints and UWise - I think they worked great, would not recommend reading the textbook.
- UWise questions and UpToDate articles.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Great surgical exposure.
- Nice variety of exposure to different aspects of the field.
- Delivering a baby with the Attending in the room but not actually touching the patient, only observing me. Also, I was allowed to act almost like an intern in the OR.
- Night float was rough because it was a quiet week.
- Having to stay until signout.
Last revised: 01/12