First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
OB/GYN Clerkship at Jefferson
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Meal tickets for night float, cafeteria closes early.
How were the 6 weeks divided up?
Are you able to request what you want?
- 1 week outpatient (clinic), 5 weeks inpatient (including L&D, gyn, 1 week of night float)
1 of the inpatient weeks is specialized - MFM, Gyn-onc, Urogynecology, reproductive/infertility, etc.
- Can request for the specialized week, but nothing is guaranteed.
What were your hours (roughly)?
What was the call schedule?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- 12-14 hours days times varied from 4:45-5:30 a.m.- 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- One week night float 6:30 p.m.-8:00 a.m.
- One week of clinic 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Many positive experiences. Just a couple instances of on resident being a little nasty/impatient.
- Great residents and attendings that enjoy teaching, exposure to many aspects of the field (gyn surgery, MFM, outpt, L & D).
- VERY helpful residents who enjoy teaching.
- Some of the residents aren't very student-friendly so you have to figure out who you can go to for questions and guidance.
- The residents were much more rude than was necessary.
- Some residents just don't acknowledge your presence.
- I really enjoyed working with all of the attendings.
- One on one time with attendings in the OR, during office hours, and on L and D - All were excellent and approachable and good teachers.
- Amazing attendings/residents: Bowers, Wolf, Wu, Baxter, Singh, Reed, Ohly, Walker, Beausang, Carlson, Gujral, Chaudhury.
HOW TO BE A ROCK STAR
- Study on the weekends.
- Start studying early!
- You need to take initiative and don't expect the residents to tell you what to do especially on L&D.
- Study with uWise questions, Beckmann &Ling (text), casefiles
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Amazing attendings and residents.
- Clinic was very enjoyable because you get to see a lot of patients and do a lot of things.
- Feeling unnecessary/unhelpful on L&D.
- Long-hour rotation - start studying early.
Last revised: 01/12