First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- Free parking, lived at hotel.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- Hotel close by made the distance from Jefferson and long hours tolerable.
- Free lunch each wednesday and free breakfast at the hotel each day.
- Meal tickets for night float.
How were the 3 weeks divided up?
- ~85% inpatient, 15% outpatient.
- Mostly inpatient, but spent various amounts of time (up to 4 days) on Main OR, Surgicenter, Triage, Clinic, MFM (one afternoon), L&D, and Night Float.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
- Lecture from 8-9 a.m. every day for med students.
What were your hours (roughly)?
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- L&D 5:00/5:30 a.m.-6:30/7:00 p.m.
- Gyn inpatient 6:30 a.m.-5/5:30 p.m.
- Week of night float - 6:00 p.m.-9:00 a.m.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- The interns were fantastic teachers and let me do a lot.
- I loved the interns and lower year residents.
- "We never were consistently part of any team during the rotation and had very disjointed schedules."
- "Residents at Christiana were really nice, enthusiastic and willing to teach."
- "Not a ton of time spent with attendings, but when I did they were also great."
- "Attendings were also friendly and kind."
- "L&D delivering babies and the residents I worked with were very warm and willing to teach."
HOW TO BE A ROCK STAR
- Know the 3 tests you do to test for PROM.
- You need to take initiative and don't expect the residents to tell you what to do especially on L&D.
- Reviewed some basic pelvic anatomy.
- "Blueprints, UWise. I felt prepared."
- "I used UWise & Beckmann OB/GYN text. I wish I had used Case Files as well."
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- The residents at Christiana were all very nice and enthusiastic and willing to teach.
- Beautiful and extensive library.
- What I liked most about the rotation was how nice the hospital was--beautiful facilities and amenities.
- Free parking, lockers, meal tickets.
- None. I found the outpt surgery to be boring though because you couldn't scrub in.
- Surgery (other than c-sections) - we weren't really told where to go and there wasn't really a role for us - we didn't do very much hands-on.
Last revised: 01/12