First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Neurology at Jefferson
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- No call, meals not paid for.
How were the weeks divided up? What are the teams or the options for the rotations?
Are you able to request what you want?
- 2 weeks of stroke, 2 weeks of consult OR 2 weeks of NICU, 2 weeks of wards.
- The option is not normally given, but students interested in a specific assignment should talk to Dr. Kremens.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- Yes - 1-2 lectures a day. Very informal: a very good chance for students to ask questions.
- It depends which service you are on and which attending is on service. Normally, NICU does frequent presentations.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)?
- Depends on the service, but roughly 6:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- Got off for major holidays.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Definitely. Lots of interaction with the attendings.
- Excellent! This is the best part about Neurology at Jeff. The attendings love to teach and engage the medical students.
HOW TO BE A ROCK STAR
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- Great teaching by attendings. Lots of hands on procedural experience on NICU.
- The course coordinator gets behind in responding to e-mails.
- Most students did not enjoy consult since they are not sent first to see the patients.
Last revised: 01/12