First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Family Medicine Clerkship at Christiana Hospital
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- A reliable car is a required for this rotation as there is no public transportation to the sites. Also, you must have your own car as you will not be at the same sites everyday other Jeff students are at.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- Didactics were at the site, not Jeff, and were roughly an afternoon a week except for the first week in which most of the time was filled with lectures.
- A 10-minute presentation was a requirement.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)?
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
How was the teaching by attendings?
HOW TO BE A ROCK STAR
- Know your physical exam well before you begin. Communicate clearly and speak up when you can. Ask what is expected of you early on. Offer assessment and plan on patients.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- "Includes a 'med student clinic' where you see all the patients on your own first."
- "Everyone is friendly and welcoming, with lots of teaching."
Last revised: 01/12