First Aid for Third Year Clerkships at JMC
Family Medicine Clerkship at Bryn Mawr Hospital
How did you get there? What is the IDEAL way to get there (if different)? If you took public transportation how much did it cost?
- BMFP is actually in Broomall, PA, around Rt 3 and I-476. You must have a car to get here! Mon-Wed and Fri you are in the outpatient offices. On Thursdays you go to the resident lectures at Bryn Mawr Hospital and then give your student presentations.
If you lived away from campus, how was the housing?
Food: Was it paid for? Were there free lunches? Did you get meal vouchers when you were on-call?
- There were drug lunches at least once a week, and usually lunch on Thursdays.
Did you have lectures/didactic sessions at your rotation site? How often? How long? Do you feel like they were as well organized as the lectures at Jeff?
Did you give a presentation? Were you required to do so?
- One day a week, about 4-6 hours Thursdays. The lectures are at Bryn Mawr Hospital. Some of the retired attendings will pull you aside during the day for an hour lecture. Thursday afternoons you give short lectures to each other. (2 over the 6-week block).
- Yes, you are required to give 2 presentations.
What were your hours (roughly)?
Did you get off on major holidays, or were you expected to be there (i.e. Labor Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after Thanksgiving)?
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or less.
What was the call schedule? Were you able to pick your nights or trade with peers?
In the Hospital, did you feel a part of the ‘team’? Did residents/attendings appreciate you?
- Yes, you are off on all major holidays.
How was the teaching by attendings?
- Yes, everyone seems to enjoy having students work with them.
- Great, especially if you are proactive about asking questions.
CANDID COMMENTS FROM STUDENTS
- "Great. Very helpful and informative. They provided an atmosphere that was both comfortable and challenging which made the 6 week experience most conducive to learning as I could see possible."
- "Sometimes you have to be more proactive in order to have attendings teach you."
Last revised: 01/12