University Archives and Special Collections
Home Policies & Forms Collections Exhibits Genealogy Resources Research Sources

Historical Dates

Year:    Month:    Day:    College/School:    

SUBMIT A DATE

Date Event College/School
2014 The Department of Physician Assistant Studies received full provisional accreditation. It admitted its first class in the Fall of 2014. JSHP
2013 (01) The Department of General Studies was renamed the Department of Professional and Continuing Studies to reflect a closer alignment with the Department’s array of programmatic offerings in support of the University’s mission to educate healthcare professionals. TJU
2011 Edward J. Caterson (TJU/JCGS 2003) and Stephanie Caterson (TJU 1999) were both members of the nation’s first full facial transplant team at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. JMC
2011 The Jefferson School of Health Professions Alumni Board was reconstituted. JSHP
2010 (12) The Board of Trustees approved the creation of a Department of Physician Assistant Studies. JSHP
2009 (09/09) The School of Population Health admitted its first students. JSPH
2009 (07/01) With University reorganization, the the Jefferson College of Health Professions was dissolved to create an independent Jefferson School of Health Professions. JSHP
2008 (07/28) The Board of Trustees approved the establishment of the Jefferson School of Health Policy and Population Health. JSPH
2008 Jefferson Elder Care is launched, providing living learning communities for JSHP students and needed services in the community. JSHP
2008 The School of Pharmacy was founded JSP
2007 A new doctoral program in Occupational Therapy was established. JSHP
2007 The Jefferson Center for Interprofessional Education (JCIPE) was established. JSHP
2007 The new Jefferson School of Nursing doctoral program (Doctor of Nursing Practice) matriculated its first class. JSHP
2006 (07/24) The Jefferson College of Health Professions was reorganized into three schools - the School of Health Professions, the School of Nursing, and the School of Pharmacy. JSHP
2006 The Board of Trustees approved the transfer of administrative responsibilities for graduate programs in nursing, occupational therapy, and physical therapy from the College of Graduate Studies to the Jefferson College of Health Professions. JSHP
2005 An executive Master’s program in Radiologic and Imaging Sciences was established. JSHP
2005 The Department of Bioscience Technologies received approval to convert post-baccalaureate certificate programs in Cytotechnology, Medical Technology, and Biotechnology to Master’s degree programs. JSHP
2004 The Nursing Department established its first associate degree (ASN) program for Methodist Hospital and Geisinger Medical Center. JSN
2004 TJU introduced its first doctoral degree program in Physical Therapy. JSHP
2003 A new associate of science degree program in Emergency Medical Services was introduced. JSHP
2003 New baccalaureate degree programs in the Department of General Studies were introduced: Health Services Management and Health Services Management Information Systems. JSHP
2002 (02/02) The College of Health Professions was renamed by the Jefferson College of Health Professions. JSHP
2002 Emergency Medicine established as a new academic department. JSHP
2000 Jefferson dermatologists and molecular geneticists identified a gene mutation in families with pseudoxanthoma elasticum, or PXE. JMC
2000 The Department of Laboratory Sciences admitted its first graduate student to its multidisciplinary master’s degree program (with tracks in Biotechnology, Cytotechnology, and Medical Technology). JSHP
2000 The Department of Nursing established a Post-Master’s Certificate Program. JSHP
1999 The Department of Laboratory Sciences implemented five new program specialty tracks leading to the post-baccalaureate certificate. JSHP
1999 The Department of Occupational Therapy developed the Child and Family Studies Research Programs. JSHP
1999 The first BS degrees in Allied Health Sciences (joint curriculum between General Studies and Physical Therapy Department) were conferred. JSHP
1998 (09) Jefferson opened a Center for Integrative Medicine. TJU
1998 The Department of Nursing conducted the College’s first distance education course (a graduate course in epidemiology). JSN
1997 Jefferson Cardiologists determine that stents are better than angioplasty for obstructed coronary bypass grafts. For patients with recurrent blockage after coronary-artery bypass surgery, using stents helps reduce the risk of heart attack, death, and the need for subsequent bypass surgery or angioplasty. JMC
1996 (12/02) The College of Allied Health Sciences was renamed the College of Health Professions. JSHP
1996 Dr. Bruce Smith, a professor at Jefferson Medical College, developed a new vaccine for treating patients with rheumatoid arthritis. JMC
1996 Jefferson Hospital separated from Thomas Jefferson University to form the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. TJU
1995 (05) The Department of Dental Hygiene closed. Between its start in 1979 and its close in 1995, it conferred 363 degrees. JSHP
1995 The Biotechnology Program in the Department of Laboratory Sciences admitted its first class of baccalaureate degree students. The first BS degrees in Biotechnology were conferred in May 1997. JSHP
1994 (04/13) Jefferson began using a robotic pharmacy system called JAMES, Jefferson Automated Medication Extraction System, to dispense medication and free up pharmacists' time. JSP
1994 Andrew P. Zalewski (TJU Professor) conducted the world’s first clinical trials in gene therapy for cardiac patients at Jefferson. JMC
1994 Jefferson started a Family Nurse Practitioner Master's degree program. JSN
1992 (05) The first MS in Physical Therapy degrees were conferred. JSHP
1992 The Jefferson Gay and Lesbian Medical Association was established. TJU
1991 (11) University Office of Minority Affairs established. TJU
1991 The Commuter Services Office (CSO) opened. TJU
1990 (09) Dr. Darwin J. Prockop and colleagues were the first to discover a gene that causes osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis. JMC
1989 (06) The first MSN degrees were conferred. JSN
1988 The Department of Diagnostic Imaging instituted the nation’s first integrated multicompetency bachelor’s degree program in radiography and diagnostic medical sonography. JSHP
1986 Charles Klieman (JMC 1967) devised the first articulating laparoscopic instrument – scissors that allow surgeons to choose a precise angle of cut. JMC
1986 The Master’s degree program was established in Occupational Therapy. JSHP
1985 (05) The Department of Physical Therapy received full accreditation from the American Physical Therapy Association. JSHP
1985 (01) The Department of Occupational Therapy received official accreditation from the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation of the American Medical Association in collaboration with the American Occupational Therapy Association. JSHP
1984 (05/31) The first emergency liver transplant operation in the Delaware Valley was performed. JMC
1984 (03/31) The first successful liver transplant in Philadelphia. JMC
1983 (09) First Occupational Therapy and first Physical Therapy students entered Jefferson. JSHP
1983 Two new programs were established in the Department of Radiologic Technology: advanced placement for registered technologists to earn their baccalaureate degrees and a baccalaureate degree program in diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound). JSHP
1982 (07/01) Dr. Leah Lowenstein became the first woman Dean at Jefferson and first woman Dean at any coeducational medical school in the US. TJU
1982 (06/10) The last nursing class graduated as the Nursing School closed. As of 1982 it had graduated more than 5,000 students. It would not open again until 2006. JSN
1982 Charles Klieman (JMC 1967) developed the modern surgical stapler. JMC
1982 Leah M. Lowenstien became the first woman dean at TJU and at any co-ed medical college in the US. TJU
1981 (03/30) On this day Ronald Regan was shot in an assassination attempt, and several Jefferson alumni treated him. Manfred Wilhelm Lichtmann was one of the physicians who administered anesthsia, and Joseph Martin Giordano performed chest surgery with Kathleen F. Cheyney as the first assistant surgeon. JMC
1981 Jefferson became the first Philadelphia institution to require an advanced trauma life-support course for all house staff in surgery before they were exposed to the public. JMC
1981 Louis D. Lowry, TJU professor of otolaryngology, designed an artificial larynx to activate speech using lips and tongue motion. JMC
1980 (04/01) The Wills Eye Hospital was completed and occupied. TJU
1980 (01) The Scott Library established a Satellite Information Center on the third floor of the New Hospital to provide hospital staff with easier access to information. TJU
1980 A Post Certificate program was established by the Department of Dental Hygiene. JSHP
1980 The School of Practical Nursing was phased out. JSHP
1979 (06/30) The Department of Preventive Medicine was dissolved.  
1978 The new Hospital was opened. JMC
1977 (09/06) Department of Dental Hygiene enrolled its first ten students. JSHP
1976 Robert C. Gallo (JMC 1963) co-discovered interleukin-2 of the HIV virus. JMC
1976 The Barringer Residence Building was erected. TJU
1976 The Department of General Studies was formally established by the Board of Trustees. JSHP
1976 The Departments of Cytotechnology and Radiologic Technology accepted their first baccalaureate degree students. JSHP
1975 (05/03) TJU held its first Parents' Day, with more than 200 students and parents participating. TJU
1974 (07) The University started a new three year family practice residency. JMC
1974 Health Sciences Center (Edison Building) opened. TJU
1973 (03/12) Dr. James E. Colberg performed the first successful cadaver donor renal transplant. JMC
1973 (02/16) Dr. James E. Colberg performed the first successful parent and child renal transplant. JMC
1973 The Department of Dental Hygiene was established. JSHP
1972 (07/01) All full-time nonbargaining employees at Jefferson became eligible to participate in a tuition reimbursement program for coursework in the General Studies program. TJU
1972 (06) Thomas Jefferson University granted its first four bachelor of science degrees. TJU
1972 (01/18) Congress declared that Thomas Jefferson University was "the first university in the United States to bear the full name of the third President of the United States." TJU
1972 A Department of Dentistry was created in the University Hospital. JSHP
1972 Alumnus Dr. Herbert E. Cohn performed the first successful renal transplant at Jefferson. JMC
1972 The Department of Baccalaureate Nursing was established. JSHP
1972 TJU Professor of Medicine Norman Lasker invented the Jefferson Cycler, the first at-home self-treatment device for dialysis patients. JMC
1970 The Scott Administration Building and Library was built. TJU
1970 Thomas Jefferson University established its first baccalaureate degree program. TJU
1969 (07/01) The Jefferson College of Health Professions of Thomas Jefferson University was established as the College of Allied Health Sciences, replacing the School of Allied Health Sciences. JSHP
1969 (07/01) Thomas Jefferson University was established. It included three academic divisions — Jefferson Medical College (JMC), the College of Graduate Studies (CGS), and the College of Allied Health Sciences (CAHS,formerly, the School of Allied Health Sciences)— and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (TJUH). TJU
1969 The College of Graduate Studies was established. TJU
1968 A General Studies program was started in the Fall. TJU
1968 The Jefferson Alumni Hall was built. TJU
1967 (01/09) The School of Allied Health Sciences was established. JSHP
1967 Orlowitz Residence Hall opened for students and house staff with 239 apartments. JMC
1966 Clinical Pharmacology introduced to Jefferson in 1966 and discontinued June 30, 1973 JMC
1966 Jefferson Medical College resolved on June 6 to affiliate with the Pennsylvania State University. By August 16 negotiations collapsed and on September 12 the Jefferson Boards rescinded the Memorandum of Affiliation. JMC
1965 1953 JMC graduate James M. Hunter invented the artificial tendon for hand rehabilitation. JMC
1965 Barry B. Goldberg, a JMC professor of Radiology, established the first accredited vascular laboratory in the US. JMC
1965 Professor and Dr. Franz X. Hausberger was named the "Father of Adipose Tissue Research" by the Handbook of Physiology. JMC
1964 David M. Farrel (JMC 1928) and Benjamin Kendall (JMC Professor of Obstetrics) developed a technique to record pre-natal electrocardiogram. JMC
1964 The School of Practical Nursing was established. JSN
1963 Professor and Dr. Nicholas A. Michels was named the "Father of Mast Cell Research." JMC
1961 First year that women were allowed into the medical college. Nine women matriculated. JMC
1961 Year the Penny Wise Thrift Shop was started. JMC
1960 (05/23) The College Committee moved that women be allowed to apply to Jefferson Medical College. JMC
1960 A fully accredited graduate program in oral surgery was started. JSHP
1959 The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation established. JMC
1957 George J. Haupt invented the Jefferson ventilator. JMC
1957 The Department of Cytology accepted its first student. JMC
1955 Jefferson began a daily tracking system for infections in the hospital. This step eventually led to the beginning of Nurse Epidemiologists or Infection Control Practitioners. JMC
1955 Jefferson's first Department of Anesthesia was established. JSHP
1954 Department of Otolaryngology was established at Jefferson. JMC
1954 William W. L. Glenn created the “Glenn shunt,” a vena cava-pulmonary artery shunt that bypassed the defective right chambers in hearts of “Blue Babies.” JMC
1953 (11/30) Three faculty members were fired after being "not deemed worthy of holding" their positions. These individuals were let go because of their political beliefs and affiliations during the era of the HUAC. JMC
1953 (05/06) Dr. John H. Gibbon, Jr. was the first person to perform a surgery using a heart-lung machine. He repaired an interatrial septal defect on an 18 year old woman. The operation lasted 26 minutes. JMC
1953 Allan J. Erslev, Cardeza Foundation Director, discovered the renal hormone erythropoietetin. JMC
1953 John H. Gibbon (JMC 1927) conceived of and developed (but refused patent rights for) the world’s first successful heart-lung machine JMC
1953 The Cytotechnology program was established as a one year hospital-based program. JSHP
1952 Jefferson obtained its first electron microscope. JMC
1949 A graduate program in various basic medical sciences was organized. It would lead to the formation of the College of Graduate Studies in 1969 JMC
1948 (12/01) The Ivycroft Farm and Convalescent Home for Men closed. The Home, the first of its kind in the Philadelphia area, cared for patients convalescing from illness, injury, and general poor health. JMC
1946 The orthopaedic resident education program was established at Jefferson. JMC
1945 John D. Reese invented the Reese dermatome. JMC
1944 (09) When the class of 1945 graduated - instead of June 1945 - because of WWII. JMC
1942 The Department of Psychiatry was established at Jefferson. JMC
1941 Cardeza Foundation established. JMC
1941 The Department of Medical Technology accepted its first formal class of four students. JMC
1940 Bachelor's degree now required for admission to attend Jefferson Medical College. JMC
1939 Dr. William T. Lemmon (JMC 1921) invented a new method for spinal anesthesia, "continuous spinal." JMC
1939 First time the Grace Reverse Osler Professorship was awarded (to George P. Muller). JMC
1935 Jefferson's x-ray technician program received accreditation from the American College of Radiology's first roster of approved schools. JMC
1934 One of the first x-ray technician training programs in the U.S. was founded at Jefferson Hospital. It was on the first roster of approved schools accredited by the American College of Radiology. JSHP
1933 (01/16) The first meeting of the Physiological Society of Philadelphia at Jefferson. JMC
1932 Department of Pharmacology founded JMC
1932 Samuel M. Dodek (JMC 1927) invented the hysterograph, or tocodynamometer, the first device to accurately measure uterine contractions during labor JMC
1932 William Williams Keen died. JMC
1931 (11/21) The Curtis Clinic Building was opened. JMC
1931 The Curtis Building was completed. JMC
1930 (04/30) The DaCosta Foundation was established to support postgraduate education members of the Philadelphia County Medical Society. JMC
1929 (10/07) The New Medical College Building at 1025 Walnut was opened. JMC
1929 The medical technology clinical training programs was established by the hospital. JSHP
1927 Dr. Chevalier Jackson helped pass a federal caustic poisons law. JMC
1926 Formal training of nurse anesthetists began at Jefferson. JSN
1924 Dr. John B. Flick performed the first thoracoplasty at Jefferson. JMC
1922 (05/10) The last surgical clinic was held in the 1877 Hospital amphitheater, or pit. JMC
1921 James Alexander Clarke, Jr. established the first Allergy Clinic in Philadelphia . JMC
1918 (11/25) Dr. Edward P. Davis made a motion during a Faculty meeting to approve co-education at the Jefferson Medical College. Unfortunately, this motion was not passed, and women were not admitted into TJU Medical College until 1961. JMC
1917 (05/05) The Ivycroft Farm and Convalescent Home for Men opened as the first of its kind in the Philadelphia area. The Home cared for patients convalescing from illness, injury, and general poor health. JMC
1917 Jefferson Hospital's first dental clinic was established. JSHP
1917 The year of the first full lectures in neuroanatomy, given by by Professor J. Parsons Schaeffer for one hour each week. JMC
1916 (06/01) The Boards of the Medical School of the University of Pennsylvania and the Jefferson Medical College voted to merge the two schools. However, after four meetings that summer the institutions decided against the merge and continued to operate as they had in the past. JMC
1916 Thomas Eakins died.  
1915 Olaf Bergeim became the first person to receive a Ph.D. from Jefferson. His dissertation was "A Study of Calcium Metabolism in Certain Pathological Conditions." JMC
1913 (02) Jefferson's Trustees approved the use of college laboratories for individuals with a bachelors degree who were interested in doing medical or surgical research. This event marks the University's first step toward graduate education. JMC
1910 (02/23) President of Temple University Reverend Russell H. Conwell wrote a letter to Sub-Dean Ross V. Patterson proposing a merger of Temple University and Jefferson Medical College. JMC
1909 (01/09) A Women's Auxiliary group was started. JMC
1909 Department of Preventive Medicine was established. JMC
1908 Department of Pediatrics was established. JMC
1907 A Department of Opthalmology was established. JMC
1907 A new Jefferson Medical College Hospital was opened at the corner of Tenth and Sansom. JMC
1904 August - The Department of Urology was established under the name of Genito-Urinary Diseases. JMC
1904 The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery was established. JMC
1903 Thomas Jefferson graduate Charles Eucharist de Medici Sajous published the first American textbook of endocrinology, The Internal Secretions and the Principles of Medicine. He is sometimes referred to as the "The Father of American Endocrinology." JMC
1901 Oscar H. Allis (JMC 1866) invented the Allis forceps and Allis ether inhaler. JMC
1901 The first known black student to graduate from Thomas Jefferson was Dr. Algernon Brashear Jackson in 1901. JMC
1900 Arthur Dare invented the Dare hemoglobulinometer. JMC
1900 Department of Neurology established at Jefferson. JMC
1899 A student government system was created this year. JMC
1899 The Jeffersonian was launched as a way to record student life and medical events. JMC
1898 Solomon Solis-Cohen (JMC 1883) was the first to epiphrine to relieve hay fever and asthma. His work would lead to the modern EpiPen. JMC
1898 William M. Late Coplin (JMC 1886) invented the Coplin Jar, a standard storage unit for stained microscopic slides. JMC
1896 Edward P. Davis (1888) recorded possibly the first radiographic diagnostic image of a fetus in utero JMC
1895 (06/01) Jefferson became a nonprofit corporation with a single board of trustees to manage the Hospital and the College. JMC
1895 Jefferson Medical College gained non-profit status. JMC
1895 Nurses Alumni Association of Jefferson's School of Nursing established. JSHP
1894 John Chalmers DaCosta wrote Modern Surgery, General and Operative. JMC
1893 (11) The Jefferson Hospital Training School for Nurses awarded its first diplomas to five students. JSN
1893 (07) Dr. William Williams Keen, Jr. was part of a team that operated on President Grover Cleveland for a verrucous carcinoma of the roof of the mouth. JMC
1892 The Department of Gynecology was established. JMC
1891 (10/29) The first student surgical society at Jefferson was started by Professor W.W. Keen's students. It would later be known as the Gibbon Surgical Society. JMC
1891 (10/16) The H.A. Hare Medical Society was established. JMC
1891 Medical program now three years long. JMC
1891 The Jefferson Medical College Hospital opened its School of Nursing with a class of 13 students. JSHP
1890 The Women's Board was established as the Board of Lady Managers. JMC
1888 (12/29) Jefferson hosted the first annual meeting of the American Physiological Society. JMC
1888 George M. Gould, 1888 JMC graduate, invented the cemented bifocal eyeglass lens. JMC
1887 (12/30) The American Physiological Society was formed. JMC
1887 (12/15) Dr. William W. Keen performed the first documented surgical cure of an intracranial tumor in the United States. JMC
1887 Dr. William Williams Keen, Jr. became the first in America to successfully remove an intracranial (brain) tumor. JMC
1886 The Maternity Departmnet was opened within the 1877 Hospital. JMC
1885 General George Brinton McClellan died JMC
1884 (05/06) Samuel D. Gross died of congestive heart failure. JMC
1884 Dr. Jacob DaSilva Solis-Cohen performed the first complete laryngectomy in the United States. JMC
1884 Phineas S. Connor (JMC 1861) performed the first complete gastrectomy on a human. JMC
1884 Samuel D. Gross died. JMC
1883 (06/13) The Anatomical Act of 1883 became law. Almnus William S Forbes spearheaded the law's creation, which required Coroners to turn over all unclaimed bodies to an Anatomical Board that would distribute them fairly between medical facilities. JMC
1881 1853 JMC graduate William Thomson invented a standard test for color blindness. JMC
1881 Carlos Juan Finlay discovered the mosquito vector for yellow fever. JMC
1880 Samuel D. Gross founded the American Surgical Association. JMC
1880 The J. Aitken Meigs Medical Association was founded by eight Jefferson graduates to exchange medical ideas. JMC
1879 Louis Elsberg (JMC 1857) invented the metal tongue depressor. JMC
1879 Samuel D. Gross founded the Philadelphia Academy of Surgery. JMC
1878 Dr. William Thomson invented the ametrometer to diagnose and correct ametropia (refractive errors). JMC
1878 The year instruction in histology began at Jefferson. JMC
1877 (09/17) The first detached Jefferson Medical College Hospital was officially opened. JMC
1877 (08/30) Dr. Francis F. Maury performed the first operation in the new 1877 Hospital. JMC
1877 1877 Hospital was built. JMC
1876 (07/06) James Ewing Mears was the first in Philadelphia to perform surgery under antiseptic conditions, following Joseph Lister’s system. JMC
1876 William W. Keen became the first person to use adopt Lister's antisepsis principles in Philadelphia. JMC
1874 Roberts W. Bartholow (who later became Professor of Materia Medica at Jefferson) first applied electrodes to the human brain. JMC
1874 The first zoo in the United States was opened this year, founded by Jefferson alumnus William Camac. JMC
1873 Jonathan Letterman died. JMC
1872 Jacob da Silva Solis-Cohen's Diseases of the Throat and Nasal Passages - A Guide to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Affections of the Pharynx, Esophagus, Trachea, Larynx and Nares was published. JMC
1870 (03/12) The Alumni Association was organized. JMC
1870 Samuel D. Gross founded the Jefferson Alumni Association. JMC
1868 Austin Flint Jr. (JMC 1857) discovered the role of coprosterol in liver secretion . JMC
1868 Jacob da Silva Solis-Cohen, JMC Professor of laryngoscopy, performed the first successful laryngotomy for cancer of the vocal cord. JMC
1867 (06/15) Dr. John Stough Bobb, who studied at Jefferson, became the first person to operate on the gallbladder and to perform a successful cholecystotomy with removal of biliary calculi. JMC
1867 Jacob da Silva Solis-Cohen was the first person in the US to perform a successful laryngotomy. JMC
1867 John Stough Bobbs (1849) performed the first successful gall bladder surgery, or cholecystotomy. JMC
1866 The first year that teaching the treatment of skin diseases was officially recognized. JMC
1865 (03/04) Washington and Jefferson College were united under one charter. JMC
1864 (10/01) Benjamin Howard Rand was born in Philadelphia. He would later be appointed to the Chair of Chemistry at Jefferson in 1864 and assume the Deanship from 1869-1873. JMC
1864 Jacob DaCosta's famous Medical Diagnosis was published for the first time, which was the first to identify and describe “soldier’s heart” or “irritable heart,” which is known today as post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD. JMC
1864 S. Weir Mitchell, William W. Keen, and George R. Morehouse co-authored Gunshot Wounds and Other Injuries of Nerves, which was the first to describe phantom limb, ascending neuritis, RSD, and causalgia. JMC
1862 Jonathan Letterman (JMC 1849) desgined the modern military ambulance service JMC
1862 Ninian A. Pinckney (JMC 1833) desgined and served aboard the first US Navy hospital ship, USS Red Rover JMC
1861 Samuel Gross published his Manual of Military History. JMC
1860 Joseph Pancoast (JMC Professor of Anatomy) invented the abdominal tourniquet for below the hip amputation. JMC
1859 (03/21) Jefferson alum William Camac founded the Philadelphia Zoological Society of Philadelphia, with the intention of creating a zoo. The Philadelphia Zoological Garden, America's first zoo, would eventually open in 1874. JMC
1855 (03/10) When Carlos Juan Finlay graduated from Jefferson. JMC
1849 (04/24) James William Holland was born in Louisville, Kentucky. Two years after becoming Professor of Medical Chemistry and Toxicology, he became Dean of the Faculty. JMC
1849 (01/16) The Philadelphia County Medical Society's first meeting. JMC
1847 (05/08) Dr. George McClellan died. JMC
1847 The American Medical Association was organized, and Henry Cadwalader Chapman became its first President. JMC
1846 (12/23) Thomas Mutter administered the first anesthetic (ethyl ether) in Philadelphia while removing a cheek tumor at this Jefferson Clinic. JMC
1846 Ellerslie Wallace (JMC Professor of Anatomy) developed a zinc chloride based compound for the preservation of dead flesh, the first modern embalming method. JMC
1845 1845 JMC graduate Edward R. Squibb invented (but refused patent rights for) a distiller for pure ether production. JMC
1844 (12/11) John Mankey Riggs (JMC 1839 matriculate) was the first to perform dental surgery using anesthesia (nitrous oxide gas) JMC
1844 Thomas Eakins was born. JMC
1839 (05/02) The Board of Trustees dissolved the entire faculty. JMC
1838 Jefferson Medical College obtained its independent charter from the Pennsylvania State Legislature. JMC
1837 William Williams Keen was born. JMC
1836 Dr. Robley Dunglison became a professor at Jefferson Medical College JMC
1834 (03/03) Year Wills Eye Hospital opened as the first hospital in the Western Hemisphere devoted entirely to the eye. JMC
1833 (12/03) Juan Carlos Finlay was born in Camaguey, Cuba. JMC
1833 (02/07) Jacob M. DaCosta was born. JMC
1832 Before 1832 the longest term alloted for the year’s “Session” lectures was four months (Nov through Feb). Lectures were identical in each session – was standard curriculum in the medical colleges of the US. JMC
1830 Samuel D. Gross published Anatomy, Physiology and Diseases of Bones and Joints. JMC
1829 (03/11) The first time a commencement was held in the new Medical Hall (Ely Building). JMC
1828 (08/06) The Medical Hall (Ely Building) was opened. JMC
1828 August - The Medical Hall (Ely Building) was opened. JMC
1828 Samuel D. Gross received his M.D. degree. JMC
1827 (05/12) Dr. Ezra Stiles Ely bought the land for a new Medical Hall (Ely Building) at the corner of Tenth and Moravian. JMC
1826 (07/04) Thomas Jefferson died, and Dr. Robley Dunglison closed his eyelids. JMC
1826 (04/14) The first Jefferson Medical College Commencement was held. JMC
1826 (04/07) The bill to allow Jefferson Medical College to grant medical degrees became law. JMC
1826 General George Brinton McClellan was born. JMC
1825 (10/25) A petition was introduced to the State Legislature that would enable Jefferson College at Canonsburg to grant the medical degree. JMC
1825 (05/16) The College's first Infirmary was officially opened. JMC
1825 (05/09) Dr. George McClellan performed his first operation in the newly opened Tivoli Theater building. JMC
1825 (05/09) Jefferson became the first medical college in the country to open a clinic. JMC
1825 (03/08) Tivoli Theater was opened as the Hall of the Jefferson Medical College. JMC
1825 (01/27) The Dean was given an apartment to be used as an office and as a reception for poor patients. JMC
1825 (01/01) A lease was signed to rent Tivoli Theater, which would be the first clinic established in any college in the U.S. JMC
1824 (12/20) The first regular faculty meeting was held. There were only five members. JMC
1824 (10/30) Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia was founded as the Medical Department of Jefferson College of Canonsburg JMC
1824 (10/11) Dr. George McClellan gave the first official lecture under Jefferson's new charter. JMC
1824 (06/02) Dr. George McClellan, Dr. John Eberle, Dr. Joseph Klapp, and Mr. Jacob Green applied to the Trustees of Jefferson College at Canonsberg to establish a medical school in Philadelphia JMC
1824 Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia was founded as the Medical Department of Jefferson College of Canonsburg JMC
1824 Jonathan Letterman, who revolutionized the ambulance system, was born. JMC
1823 (10/29) The song Home Sweet Home was sung for the first time in America in the Tivoli Theater, which would later become the Hall of the Jefferson Medical College. JMC
1813 (01/25) James Marion Sims, referred to as the "Father of Gynecology" was born in Lancaster County, South Carolina. JMC
1805 Samuel D. Gross was born. JMC
1801 (10/25) Franklin Bache, Benjamin Franklin's great-grandson and faculty member of Jefferson, was born in Philadelphia. JMC
1796 (12/22) George McClellan, Thomas Jefferson University's founder, was born in Woodstock, Wyndham County, Connecticut. JMC
1790 (07/26) Jacob Green was born in Philadelphia. He was one of the founding members of Jefferson Medical College. JMC



Jefferson home

The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-AISR / 215-503-2477

Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Disclaimer & privacy policy
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved