University Archives and Special Collections
Home Policies & Forms Collections Exhibits Genealogy Resources Research Sources
A Brief History of Thomas Jefferson University
Exhibit DisplaysExhibit Home
George McClellan, Founder
Establishing a School
Access by Ticket Only
Early Homes
A Course of Lectures
Famous Faculty
Graduation Requirements
Changes Come to Jefferson
Becoming a University
Jefferson Today
   

Click on a thumbnail to view its display

 

Jefferson Medical College Buildings, ca. 1930s

Jefferson Medical College collage, ca. 1930s. (Art/Photo Collection, C9-045)

Jefferson Today

During the 20th century, Jefferson's campus expanded enormously to include the following buildings:

  • Main Hospital Building (1907)
  • Thompson Building (1924)
  • Medical College and Curtis Buildings (1929 and 1931)
  • Foerderer Pavilion (1954)
  • Jefferson Alumni Hall (1968)
  • Scott Memorial Library (1970)
  • Edison Building (acquired 1973)
  • Gibbon Building (1978)
  • Bodine Center for Cancer Treatment (1986)
  • Medical Office Building (1986)
  • Clinical Office Building (1990)
  • Bluemle Life Sciences Building (1991)

Aerial campus view, 1980. (Art/Photo Collection, C9-021)

Bounded by Chestnut Street to the north, Irving Street to the south, Ninth Street to the east and 11th Street to the west, today the University campus occupies approximately 13 acres.

Thomas Jefferson University earned national recognition after US News & World Report awarded Jefferson its best comprehensive medical school ranking in 1992 and 1993.

 

 

 

 

Return to Exhibit Entrance Previous Display



Jefferson home

The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-AISR / 215-503-2477

Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Disclaimer & privacy policy
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved