University Archives and Special Collections
Home Policies & Forms Collections Exhibits Genealogy Resources Research Sources
A Brief History of Thomas Jefferson University
Exhibit DisplaysExhibit Home
George McClellan, Founder
Establishing a School
Access by Ticket Only
Early Homes
A Course of Lectures
Famous Faculty
Graduation Requirements
Changes Come to Jefferson
Becoming a University
Jefferson Today
   

Click on thumbnail to view displays

 

The Famous Faculty of 1841

"Whitechurch engraving" of 1855; engraved by R. Whitechurch and B. P. Newman, printed by Joseph M. Wilson, Philadelphia. (Art/Photo Collection)

Famous Faculty

At mid-century Jefferson boasted a strong college faculty. Professors of the 1841 "famous faculty" included

  • Robley Dunglison (Institutes of Medicine)
  • John K. Mitchell (Practice of Medicine)
  • Joseph Pancoast (Anatomy)
  • Thomas D. Mütter (Practice of Surgery)
  • Charles D. Meigs (Obstetrics)
  • Franklin Bache (Chemistry)
  • Robert Huston (Materia Medica)

While the resignation of Thomas Mütter in 1856 broke up the original group, his replacement, Samuel D. Gross, brought additional recognition and skills to the faculty.

 

 

 

Previous DisplayNext Display


Jefferson home

The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-AISR / 215-503-2477

Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Disclaimer & privacy policy
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved