University Archives and Special Collections
Home Policies & Forms Collections Exhibits Genealogy Resources Research Sources
A Brief History of Thomas Jefferson University
Exhibit DisplaysExhibit Home
George McClellan, Founder
Establishing a School
Access by Ticket Only
Early Homes
A Course of Lectures
Famous Faculty
Graduation Requirements
Changes Come to Jefferson
Becoming a University
Jefferson Today
   

Click on thumbnail to view its display

 

Ely Lecture Hall

Lower lecture room, Medical Hall (Ely Building). (Art/Photo Collection, C12-012)

Changes Come to Jefferson

The approach of the 20th century brought major educational changes to Jefferson and the medical profession.

1881 - Term extended to six months
1882 - Creation of the post-graduate course
1884 - Adoption of the "graded course"
1885 - Final oral exam was changed to a written test for each branch of study
1885 - Requirement for a written thesis abolished
1890 - Course of study raised to 3 years
1895 - Course of study raised to 4 years
1895 - End of Jefferson as a proprietary school

A Board of Trustees would now be both administratively and financially responsible for the College and Hospital.

The Dissecting Room, Daniel Baugh Institute of Anatomy

The Dissecting Room
Daniel Baugh Institute of Anatomy, ca. 1911. (Art/Photo Collection, C16-005)

Medical education at the beginning of the 20th century strongly supported both the inclusion of scientific teachings and clinical instruction. However, nothing distinguished a "good" school from a "bad" one. Then in 1907, the American Medical Association appealed to the Carnegie Foundation to appoint an inspector to survey medical schools in the United States. Abraham Flexner received the job and published his findings in 1910. His report spared no institution. As a result, by 1930 the number of medical schools in the United States dropped from 148 to 66.

Jefferson Medical College was one of the few independent medical schools (not part of a University) that received a favorable rating from Flexner. In addition during 1914, Jefferson received an A+ rating from the American Medical Association - due largely to the recent creation of the Daniel Baugh Institute of Anatomy.

 

 

Previous DisplayNext Display


Jefferson home

The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-8097 / 215-503-2477

Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Disclaimer & privacy policy
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved