University Archives and Special Collections
Home Policies & Forms Collections Exhibits Genealogy Resources Research Sources
African American Graduates of JMC
Exhibit Displays Exhibit Home
Algernon Brashear Jackson,  MD '01
John Hume Miller, MD '03
Henry McKee Minton,  MD '06
Mercy Hospital and School for Nurses
Other Early Graduates
Years of Change and Challenge
Opening Doors, James H. Robinson, MD
Cora LeEthel Christian, MD '71
The Faces of Jefferson Today

Click on a thumbnail to view its display

 

Mercy Hospital and School for Nurses

Philadelphia’s second "Negro hospital" was co-founded by Jeffersonians Dr. Henry Minton and Dr. Algernon Jackson in 1907 at 17th and Fitzwater Streets. In 1919 the hospital moved to a larger structure, formerly an Episcopal Divinity School at 50th Street and Woodlawn Avenue, and operated there until 1948.

In 1948, Mercy Hospital merged with the city’s first hospital for African Americans, Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital and School for Nurses (founded in 1895 by the University of Pennsylvania's first black medical school graduate, Dr. Nathan F. Mossell) to form Mercy-Douglass. Soon afterward the combined hospital built a new and fully modern facility. Through much of its existence this institution was largely funded by the community it served, until its closing in 1973.

Mercy Hospital
Mercy Hospital (later Mercy-Douglass)
Mercy Hospital was housed in this structure from 1919-1948 and was located in West Philadelphia.
A modern nine-story building replaced it in 1955.
 
Previous Display Return to Top of Page Next Display


Jefferson home

The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Academic & Instructional Support & Resources (AISR)
Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-AISR / 215-503-2477

Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Disclaimer & privacy policy
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved
AISR