|University | Hospital | Pulse | JeffNet | RAP | JEFFLINE|
Francis J. Sweeney Papers
0.5 Linear Feet (1 Box )
Francis J. Sweeney Jr. obtained his BA degree from the University of Virginia in 1947 and his MD from Jefferson Medical College in 1951. He interned at Jefferson (1951-1952) and took his residency in internal medicine there (1952-1953, 1955-1957; Chief Medical Resident, 1957-1958). In 1956 he joined Dr. Robert Wise in his research in the Division of Infectious Diseases of the Department of Medicine at Jefferson. In 1958 he was appointed Instructor in Medicine and continued as a member in the Division of Infectious Diseases until his assumption of the position of Jefferson Hospital Director (1967). In 1972 he was promoted to Vice-President for Health Sciences and Hospital Director.
As a senior officer of Thomas Jefferson University, Dr. Sweeney worked particularly closely with President Peter A. Herbut and appears to have been one of the key policy makers for the university in the area of academic protocol (the arrangement of formal academic ceremonies such as commencement, convocation, and inauguration).
In 1984 Dr. Sweeney left Jefferson to become Vice-President for the Health Sciences Center of Temple University. In June 1986 he became Vice-President for Professional Affairs and Medical Director of Mercy Catholic Medical Center.
Awards and honors:
1963 Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching
1978 Presentation of portrait, Thomas Jefferson University
1983 Jefferson Annual Alumni Achievement Award
1984 Jefferson Winged Ox Award
1985 Special Presidential Citation, American College of Physicians
1985 Laureate Award Medal, American College of Physicians
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of materials of John Sweeney from 1961-1988. Types of materials include correspondence, subject files, and programs documenting academic protocol in various academic institutions in the U.S., the University Art Collection, particularly the statue of Samuel D. Gross by Alexander Calder and a painting commissioned by Wyeth Laboratories "Osler at Old Blockley." The collection also contains a group of slides documenting faculty, trustees and students of Jefferson Medical College, hospital departments, building construction and demolition, the history of antibiotics, Temple University, and other medical subjects.
Organization and Arrangement
View and print the full finding aid (including box and folder list) in PDF format (94KB)
The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Academic & Instructional Support & Resources (AISR)
Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-AISR / 215-503-2477
Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved