|University | Hospital | Blackboard | Pulse | JeffNet | RAP | JEFFLINE|
Lewis C. Scheffey Collection
.75 linear ft. (2 boxes)
Lewis Cass Scheffey was born in Stamford, Connecticut in 1893. After graduating from Jefferson Medical College in 1920, he worked as a rotating intern at the Hospital before joining the faculty as an Assistant Demonstrator of Gynecology 27 months later. By 1938 he was promoted to Clinical Professor of Gynecology. Scheffey's work was marked by an interest in pelvic cancer, which led him to create a Pelvic Cancer Clinic within Jefferson's gynecology department. He directed the Clinic until his retirement in 1955. Throughout his career Scheffey was also president of a number of professional organizations, including the American Gynecologic Society, the Philadelphia County Medical Society, the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia, and the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. He died in 1969.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains material related to Scheffey's interest and research into medical history as well as correspondence (bulk 1920s-1950s), newspaper clippings, ephemera, diplomas and certificates, and photographs. The Albert Whitely Papers (MS 052) also contain student notes and tickets originally in this collection.
Organization and Arrangement
View and print the full finding aid (including box and folder list) in PDF format
The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-8097 / 215-503-2477
Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved