|University | Hospital | Blackboard | Pulse | JeffNet | RAP | JEFFLINE|
Thomas D. Mütter Collection
1842 - 1884
1.25 Linear Feet (3 Boxes )
Dr. Mütter (1811-1859) was the third Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Jefferson Medical College, 1841-1856. He was the first surgeon in Philadelphia to administer ethyl ether to a patient (23 December 1843). Mütter bequeathed his pathological museum to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, together with an endowment of $30,000 for maintenance and a lectureship associated with the collection.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of materials by or about Thomas D. Mütter, M.D. and the Mütter Museum from 1841-1884. The materials include addresses (1841-1851) given to Jefferson students (consisting of introductory lectures and charges to graduates), publications of syllabi for Jefferson courses (many interleaved with student notes), and two memoirs (1859) of Mütter, one written by R.J. Levis and the other by Joseph Pancoast.
Organization and Arrangement
View and print the full finding aid (including box and folder list) in PDF format (90KB)
The University Archives and Special Collections is a unit of
Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University
1020 Walnut Street · Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-503-8097 / 215-503-2477
Ask an Archivist
Please send comments about this page to Michael Angelo (Michael.Angelo@jefferson.edu).
Copyright ©, Thomas Jefferson University
All rights reserved