Q: How do I chat with my IM account?
A: AIM, Yahoo!, MSN and GoogleTalk users:
- Add our screen name to your contact list
- Open a chat window and type your question
- A librarian will respond shortly. If we're unavailable or don't
respond, please try back later or ask your question in person, by
Web, email (email@example.com),
or telephone (215-503-8150).
Q: I don't use IM. How can I get started?
A: New users can get started by signing up for a screen name and downloading
software from AIM. Computers in the
library and AISR computer labs already have the software installed;
just run AIM and click 'Get a Screen Name'. Or if you'd rather not sign up for an IM account, just use the handy box at the top of this page to chat without a personal account.
Q: When are librarians online?
A: This is a pilot service during which our hours may vary. We are generally
online when the Reference Desk is open (see
our hours). If we're unavailable via IM, contact us by phone or
Q: What kinds of questions do you answer?
A: Try us! Here are some of the questions we've answered in the past:
- How do I cite a government report in APA style?
- How many students are enrolled in JMC? How many applied?
- Is the Library open to the general public?
- Is Ovid down? It keeps telling me my account is blocked.
- Do we have the 1989 volume of Microvascular Research?
- I'm looking for information on the history of APNs in New Zealand.
- I'm wondering how to change my settings so I can access RefWorks from home.
Q: Anything else I should know?
A: Glad you asked:
- In-person requests receive priority over phone and electronic requests.
- Requests of equal priority are answered in the order they arrive.
- This is a service for Thomas Jefferson University/Hospital students,
staff and faculty. You may be asked for proof of affiliation such
as your Jefferson email address.
- IM is for brief communications, generally under ten minutes. For
inquiries requiring more time, librarians may ask that a session be
continued by phone, email, or in person.
Q: Do you want to know what I think?
A: Yes! Please fill out a short survey.